My first story on Finding Far Away was a post about climbing (most) of the way down and back up the Grand Canyon. At the end I mentioned we we woke up the next day and ventured onwards to the bright lights in the desert…Vegas.
It really does come out of the bleak yellow of the desert like a mirage and then bam, you’re in the bright lights of Sin City.
For the first night we stayed in Circus Circus. To quote a legend
“The Circus-Circus is what the whole hep world would be doing Saturday night if the Nazis had won the war. This is the sixth Reich. The ground floor is full of gambling tables, like all the other casinos . . . but the place is about four stories high, in the style of a circus tent, and all manner of strange County-Fair/Polish Carnival madness is going on up in this space.”
It didn’t disappoint.
In order, the night involved:
- a giant limo with 2 stripper poles inside.
- enough gin to satisfy Scott Fitzgerald.
- apparently vodka. a. lot. of. vodka. I don’t usually order vodka.
- stripper pole taxi dancing.
- one of the group loosing his shirt under the Vegas sign.
- same man vomiting all over Excalibur. Yep voming on a castle.
- drinking outside the Ballagio out of a giant esky. Classy.
- managing to be let into the bank. Somehow.
- dancing. Blurry fun mess.
- playing one casino slot machine. Just one.
- passing out on the floor of the Ballagio.
- being taken home by my fantastic boyfriend. Nearly voming in the cab but the driver was a vom ninja and had a bag in front of me in 2 seconds.
- passing out face first, fully clothed into bed. My partner is a lucky man.
In hindsight, it could have been a classier affair. I did really want to pretend to be hitched and see more than one club but hey, an oversize limo full of booze was never going to end in a classy night to remember forever.
I might regret this when (if) I’m ever a professional human being, but here’s some blurry photos of my night:
Author: Emily Bishop
Trip taken 2014